History of the Church
  • Father Justyn Bonaventura Pranaitis began the construction of the Catholic church based on the design of the famous Polish architect Ludwik Pańczakiewicz. The first workers involved in the church's construction were Catholic soldiers stationed in Tashkent. Later, prisoners of war held near Tashkent became the builders. Among them were highly skilled engineers, sculptors, and stonemasons.
    1912
  • After nationalization, various organizations were housed in the unfinished church, including a dormitory for the ElectroCable Factory and a warehouse for medical equipment. While the church was being used for other purposes, nearly all the sculptures inside were destroyed or looted.
    1925 - 1976
  • By decision of the authorities, the building was restored and handed over to the Ministry of Culture of the Uzbek SSR. In 1981, the church was granted the status of an architectural and historical monument of Uzbekistan.
    1976
  • After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the government of the Republic of Uzbekistan transferred the building of the church to the Catholic parish of Tashkent for free use.
    1992
  • A complete restoration of the temple began and was led by architect Sergi Adamov and Alexander Ponomarev began.
    1993
  • The Roman Catholic parish was led by Father Krzysztof Kukulka, a Franciscan from Poland who was appointed by Pope John Paul II as the Ordinary of the "missiones sui iuris" (independent mission) in Uzbekistan.
    1991 - 2005
  • The Apostolic Nuncio of Kazakhstan and Central Asia, Archbishop Marian Oleś, solemnly consecrated the restored church in honor of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.
    2000
  • Pope John Paul II elevated the status of the "missio sui iuris" (independent mission to an Apostolic Administration and appointed Bishop Jerzy Mazulewicz as its first Ordinary.
    2005
  • On June 17, at the Cathedral of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Bishop Jerzy Mazulewicz ordained the first Catholic priest from Uzbekistan, Father Sergey Fedorov.
    2012
Made on
Tilda